Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Number 23: The Head of the Minotaur


The content here was inspired by some of Picasso's work from the 1930s.

With this piece I have started to integrate into the design a protective case for this type of piece. Since this is high-relief, and has a painted surface instead of the apparent cast metal, I felt I needed to build a shipping crate around the piece to protect it for storage and shipping. If you have every seen art being shipped to and from museums you will notice that each piece has it's own custom made crate. When I look at this piece on the wall, it reminds me of art sitting it it's own crate as you might see it with the lid removed. This art however is never removed from the plywood surround, and in fact is meant to be displayed like this, although it could be framed. I like the contrast between the rough, functional plywood and the smooth glassy and polished metal look of the rest. Form AND function.


Wood, epoxy, spray paint, spackle.
14.5" H., 11.5" W.




This is the protective lid I built for shipping and storage puposes





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...